Apologies for the lack of posts this week. I am down with allergies. My eyes are red and watery, my nosy is stuffy and my throat is sore. OH Hayfever… why are you so mean?!
Anyway, Im going off topic… I thought I should share this recipe and meal I made last week with you. It was really delicious. In fact I’m craving it now but have no energy what so ever to get out of bed and make it.
I found this Jamaican Brown Stew recipe on Cook like a Jamaican but tweaked it a little my adding my own extras.
1 kg of Chicken Wings
2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
3 Large cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp of Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Cooking oil (for frying chicken)
1 Large onion, chopped & 1 Spring onion, chopped
2 Bay Leaves
1/4 each, Red and Green bell pepper, chopped
1 Sprig of thyme
1 tsp Barbecue Pepper sauce
1 Tbsp Tomato ketchup
2 cups Hot water
1 tsp salt (to taste)
Tip: Wash the chicken and make sure to dry it with paper towel to remove any water before frying.
1. Season chicken with salt, black pepper, sugar, garlic and lemon juice). Marinate the chicken overnight of at least one hour before frying.
2. On High heat, fry the chicken in cooking oil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until browned. Remove chicken from pan.
3. Remove half the cooking oil in pan and use remaining oil to fry onions and bell peppers until onions are transparent.
4. Add thyme, hot pepper sauce, tomato ketchup and 1 cup of hot water to pan and stir; taste gravy and add 1 tsp of salt, if needed.
5. Add chicken to gravy. Add 1 cup of hot water and turn heat to Low and cover pan. Simmer chicken for 30 minutes or until it is tender and the gravy has thickened.
6. Serve with Basmati or side dish of you choice. I went for Basmati Rice and Salad but for the hubby he had long grain rice and plantain.